Have you been in an auto accident recent? Accidents can be stressful and dealing with insurance afterward can add to that stress. At Bear River Insurance, we want to make the process as easy as possible. An auto insurance claim is just a request for compensation from an insurance company for damages or injuries sustained after a car accident. Even if you were not injured or there were not obvious damages in your accident, it’s still important to file a claim. If damages or injuries manifest themselves later on, as they often do, you’ll be grateful that you filed.
- Call the police. After a car accident, the first thing to do is to determine if anyone is injured and then contact the police. Call 911 and report the accident. An official police report with the details of an accident will be helpful and any future claims or legalities.
- Document. While you are still on site of the accident, take down all of the information that you can. Taking pictures, video, and writing down details are all helpful. Be sure that you exchange contact and insurance information with any other parties involved. Document as much as you can.
- File a report. Next, you’ll need to file an accident report. Be sure that you understand your legal responsibilities and follow through. If you are unsure of what that entails, ask your insurance agent.
- Call your insurance company. As soon as possible, contact your insurance company. They will walk you through the next steps and let you know what information they need to do their part. Give them the needed information. If your car is no longer drivable, let your insurance agent now. They can help you determine what your plan covers and get you safe transportation home. If your car needs to be towed, is in the shop for an extended period, or is totaled, you may be entitled to a rental car for transportation until the issue is resolved. Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible so you can have a claims file open and start the process.
- Claims specialist. After you’ve officially filed a claim, your case will be assigned a claims specialist. They will represent you in any needed discussions with third parties or other insurance companies. The specialist will also investigate the case and work to get your claim settled. They will help you get your vehicle repaired or replace if needed. You may meet your specialist in person or just have a discussion on the phone. Be sure that you provide them with all of the information possible.
- Payment. After all, is said and done, once your car has been repaired or replaced, you will have an idea of the estimated cost, as well as any deductibles. Your insurance company will need to approve any repairs done. Do not accept, offer, or agree to anything without your insurance company reviewing it.
For more information about auto insurance claims and coverage, contact us are Bear River Insurance.